Why I went AWOL #NYSCdiaries

Feeling: Fresh
Time: 5:09pm


Wow! I really missed writing on this blog. I don't think you know how much. The thing is I travelled and there was no way I could take my laptop with me, and I really do not like typing long stuff on my phone. Chill a bit.I know you're wondering where I travelled to, I'll definitely tell you, BUT FIRST,let me tell you, it wasn't a fancy trip at all, it was strenuous and torturous.

This was taken on my way to Yikpata, see me looking fresh.
In Nigeria, after obtaining your bachelors degree, it is compulsory for you to serve the nation for a year through a scheme called NYSC (National Youth Service Corps), once you've done this, you can work fully. Truth is, I've always wanted to be a corp member, to wear the Khaki and the hat, and I'm finally doing that. However, no one told me that, I had to go through three weeks of hell to wear that.
The uniform I always wanted to wear.

So, I'll be writing a series here #NYSCdiaries. I'll gist you about everything I went through during those three weeks in camp; from soldiers to the parade, to boys, to the food, to the friends I made, and every other thing I can think of. I'll start now.

When I registered for the NYSC scheme, Kwara state was one of my choices. We were given only 5 days to prepare. I was so stressed, no mom to help me pack and all (she really helped virtually, she's the best) went to the market to get the things I needed, packed my bags, and on the 22nd of May, I was on my way. Beautiful thing about this journey was that my aunt's driver took my friend and I all the way to the orientation camp which is situated in YIKPATA. The journey seemed to be never ending, we left our rendevouz in IB at 11 a.m, and arrived Yikpata at 4 p.m thereabout (although, we got lost a couple of times lol).

I really don't like new environments, I don't like the feelings that come with them, so,as the driver dropped us off, I immediately felt like returning with him, but LOL I knew I was kidding. I had to settle accommodation issues, so I started my registration as soon as I got there, got a mattress and started trying to settle in. I was happy Ronke (the lady I came with) and I were in the same room, I felt better seeing a familiar face around. I cleaned up, rested a bit, reception was pretty awful at first, and that's one of the many things I really hate. Oh, we met some people in the room already, and there was this lady opposite my bunk, these were my first words to her, " hello, good evening, are you chatting? Please what network do you use? " she replied, "Airtel, although, I'm using 2g." Her name is Ore, and she became my camp best friend.
Camp bestie (they were two, we'll get to meet the other)

The next morning came, we woke around 3 a.m to get water, and till 5:30 a.m we didn't get any, so I resorted to using four sachets of water. Not my fault, I really needed to feel clean. I wanted to start my registration early so that I could finish early, hence, I got there around 7 a.m, but I finished around 4 or 5 p.m, I sat for only 30 minutes thereabout. I could have finished earlier, but I really do not like jumping queues, so I just stood for about 8 to 9 hrs. I crashed when I got into the room (which was actually called a cubicle,we were 14 in it).Some people had already started wearing their uniforms (a white shirt, white shorts, white socks, and white shoes), we wore this uniform everyday for 20 days. I started wearing mine the next day. Some looked really hot in theirs, I looked like a secondary school kid LOL.


The following morning, I heard a sound that became the most irritating thing I'll ever hear in this life and the next to come (if there's any next life). Gotta stop here, I'll continue later, keep checking the blog to get the updated story.


If you are a new corp member like me, and you'll like to share your experiences with me, you can send me a mail fifimarq@gmail.com or you can gist us in the comment section.






Comments

  1. Babe, your journey was from 11-4pm pere? I was posted to Bauchi.. 22 hours away from Lagos and I took all my trips by road.

    Looking forward to reading your camp experiences though. I enjoyed mine to an extent as well. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woww!!! 22 whaaatt?!! That's a faraway land mhen!! Thank God for journey mercies. I'm glad you enjoyed it hun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yorubas; greeting and respect. We do it for the culture!

Some Kinna delicious sweet potato meal. RECIPE!

Conscious Living- Life isn't ROCK, PAPER ,SCISSORS. SHOOT!