Some Kinna delicious sweet potato meal. RECIPE!

Feeling: cuddly 
Time: 7:57am

The last time I made this, my brother called it Fifi's casserole (well, that's cos I made it in the oven). Now that I made it in a pan, I wonder what he'd call it.
 
I feel like this meal had already existed before I thought about it; like I wasn't the first to think it up, well, that's okay I guess. The first time I made this was during my service year, I was super tired of eating the same old meals and I felt like whipping up something new.

That's one thing about me; I think about things I've never eaten before, make them a reality; sometimes, good, sometimes, not so good. (I made some kind of toast in a pan the other day, I had it with ketchup. Yeah, bread and ketchup. My brothers were sneering at it, I told them they had to taste it, they did, and made a whole batch for themselves.)

So let me show you how I made this quick, super easy and delicious food. It probably takes 40 minutes or less than. Peeling the potatoes is what takes up all the time, so when you get that out of the way, the rest is pretty much easy.

Ingredients. 
4 sweet potatoes
3 large tomatoes
1 small onion
4 eggs
5 ugu leaves (optional, you can use any vegetable of your choice)
3 tablespoons of fat ( margarine, oil, butter, cooking fat. Your choice)

Seasonings.
1/2 of a seasoning cube (Royco)
1 teaspoon of Spanish paprika (use any paprika)
A dash of basil
1 teaspoon of mixed spices
1/4 teaspoon of hot chili (my brother added more pepper to his own)
Salt (your discretion)

Procedure. 
  • Peel the potatoes (hardest part).
  • Cut them into cubes. 
  • Boil in salt water (make sure you check it intermittently).
  • While it's cooking, dice up the tomatoes and onions. 
  • When that's done, your potatoes should be soft enough. Drain out the water using a sieve.
  • You heat up half the fat of your choice. Slight fry the potatoes for about 5 minutes (I used a bit of cooking fat and margarine. The margarine made it nicer, plus it colored the potatoes a bit, made it 'smoother' if you get what I mean. You can use whatever you have at your disposal).
  • When the tomato juice is all dried up, add in your seasoning and chili. (You can use whatever seasoning you have, the first time I made it I used basic seasoning, and it was still delicious these ones just added extra flavour to it.) 
  • When that's done, you set it aside in a plate.
  • Pour in the remaining fat and your  already chopped tomatoes and onion. (I advise you not to stir it up, this way the tomatoes won't turn into stew lol).
  • Add in your potatoes and chopped leaves (if you'll use this) and mix gently. 
  • Break in your eggs. Do not stir. The heat will cook it. Leave it on for about 7 minutes. When it's cooked, cover the pan for about 3 minutes ( if you don't want runny yolks.)
I had just broken the eggs in. 
Tips
  • You can add a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in it. I liked the tangy flavor the first time I made it. That's if you're a fan of lemon. 
  • A non stick pan might be better for this. Less stress.  If you don't have this, use a normal pan. It's what I used the first time I made it. 
Enjoy!! This serves two. 

Much love,
Fifi.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yorubas; greeting and respect. We do it for the culture!

Conscious Living- Life isn't ROCK, PAPER ,SCISSORS. SHOOT!