Nigerian Weddings vs My 'dream' wedding

Feeling: Stressed.
Time: 9:39pm

Let me dive right in, cause this battery won't last too long. Today I want talk about something that so many people think about. WEDDINGS.
@lumimorg. 
 Weddings are a big deal in every part of the world, but Nigeria takes it to another level. They even say that "Saturdays are for owambes" Oh my word!!! You need to see the way it is done. People "spray" money like insecticide, (if you've seen the wedding party, a Nigerian movie, you'll understand) people dance like no one's watching (and everyone is watching!!!) , just about anything is incorporated into that reception program.
@GeorgeOkoroweddings
 
In fact, people want their pictures to make it to popular wedding pages like @bellanaijaweddings, @Nigerianweddings @weddingdigestnaija. Lol yeah I check out those pages to see cute couples while I "awwwn" and "ooh". They mostly have two weddings. one's the traditional wedding(the bride and groom wear traditional outfits, I personally think it's the main wedding itself, I believe the other one is not all that important since it isn't traditional) , the other is the "white wedding."

Trad wedding

@Lumimorg White wedding.


I dunno if it's weird, but I can count the number of times I've gone for wedding ceremonies.  Let me count. WOW! So, in all my years of existence, I have attended just four weddings. I generally don't like parties. Truth is I've not given my wedding day so much thought. All I have considered is that I DO NOT want too many people at all. That's the only heavy thought I know I've had about my future wedding. Also, to be honest, I only recently found out that people have ring preferences. All the rings I've seen on Instagram look fine to me. I saw on Instagram that one lady hated the ring her fiancé got her and she didn't know how to tell him. I was just like "really?" but then we are all different.

The wedding dress is another very important thing to so many brides and aspiring brides. Every one wants to wear a dazzling white dress that will take breaths away. Some also have a different dress for the reception, of course I admire how beautiful brides look on their wedding day, but the stress is plenty. I even heard about a bride that wore twenty different outfits . She must be a super woman , I applaud her.

So many people wear the white dress because they think it represents purity, I just recently found out that it actually doesn't represent purity. It became popular after Queen Victoria wore a white lace dress at her wedding, people started following suit. I've never given wedding dresses too much thought, all I know is that I'll wear something very simple and stressless. Now that I know that white in this case doesn't stand for purity, I've been thinking that I'll probably wear a colored gown ,maybe black even ( it'll be so gorgeous) if mom will let me ( it's my wedding, I doubt she'll have a a choice). Mothers act like it's their wedding day on that day, like they didn't have their opportunity. So annoying. Mine will probably be cool about it (I hope).

@allurebridals
@allurebridals
@allurebridals


If the whole wedding process is left to me, I won't have a reception. Our (husband and me) nuclear families and very close friends can have dinner at some place. It'll be so much funnn!!! 

I don't hate weddings, the stress that goes into it is just too much, plus I believe in spending more time and effort into the marriage itself. We've seen so many glamorous weddings end in shambles. It's not really about the day, it's about the journey. That is what I'm particular about . 


Maybe I've actually given some thoughts to my wedding day, maybe it's cause my wedding day fantasy and reality to be is different , that's why I feel that way . I just look forward to the intimacy of the day (get your mind out of the gutter!!) I mean the whole "making it private" idea.  I just want to be myself and have fun on that day.
@Lumimorg

How about you? If you're married,was yours a big or small wedding, and how did you cope?  If you're single like me , what do you want your wedding to be like? 

P.S Owambe literally means "the person is there", but in this context it means parties.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yorubas; greeting and respect. We do it for the culture!

Conscious Living- Life isn't ROCK, PAPER ,SCISSORS. SHOOT!

Some Kinna delicious sweet potato meal. RECIPE!