Travelling; Nigerian roads and my rational fears

Feeling : unmotivated
Time: 8:04 a.m

Hmmn today's gist is about Travelling majorly on Nigerian roads.

I think what got me thinking about this is the fact that I'm going home tomorrow for a few days and I'm thinking about how the whole journey will go. Truth Is I hate Nigerian roads. Everybody does actually.

As much as I'm the indoorsy type of person, I think a little part of me likes travelling, but for some reason, I'm scared of it. I'm not a pessimist, but I'm really scared of travelling cos I'm scared of accidents. I know, I know, I'm going too far,  but that's what you get when you have a crazy imaginative mind - you imagine the worst and you imagine the best.

 Trust me, I'm even better,  God has helped me deal with my irrational fears to a large extent. There was a time me , my dad and brother were walking under a bridge and I was telling my dad to hurry, cos I didn't want the bridge to fall on us.

I don't know what I'd do with myself if I'm on the third mainland bridge. *shivers mentally* let me not imagine it yet.
Source: google

One of the reasons why the little part of me that loves travelling can't express herself is cos of the Nigerian roads. I think I'd normally prefer travelling on the road cos you get to see more things. Travelling by air just makes me want to sleep all the time, I mean, I'm surrounded by clouds, it's expected.

Nigerian roads are so horrible, filled with so much bumps and reckless drivers, fat ladies, smelly people and all. It's why I like it when my phone is fully charged when I'm travelling, so I can get lost in music.

One friend I had told me that it takes two bad drivers to make an accident. Somehow, I  always like to believe 'my' driver is the bad driver. Every driver I've met speeds too much for my liking, but it seems I'm the only one that takes note of that, cos when I look at every other person's face and it never mirrors the look of fear drawn all over my face. Sometimes I sleep and plug my ears so that I wouldn't think about the speed too much.

Funny thing is I've never been involved in a road accident, so I really don't get this fear. I wish all the roads could be fixed, maybe I'll enjoy travelling with a   lot of peace.

It's worse now that I can drive a little, because I feel like I'm more conscious of the little things. I think I still have to relearn though. One would think that now that I know how to drive, I'll be happy my life 'isn't in the hands' of a stranger (if you get what I mean) but it's worse. I'm scared of me behind the wheels. I don't really look forward to driving much in the future.

The only pleasant driving experience was when my family and me were in a bus for a trip down to Ibadan from Abuja. It was fun cos it was so comfortable, there was so much snacking, laughing, sleeping and gisting, there was one man who constantly made us laugh and forget about the bumps, portholes and speed. He was so funny I'm even smiling now.

Maybe as I grow older, my rational fear of travelling on Nigerian roads will be overcome, maybe not, but I think it's a pretty legit fear.

Still, there's the little part of me that wants to travel this world, not necessarily by road. I don't know if this part might gain expression, but I hope it does.

I've only been to three countries. Majorly two though;  Uganda and Gambia. On a minor basis, I can add Kenya. I hope to travel to many places, if I do, you'll definitely hear about my experiences.

I'm wondering if anyone reading this is like me when it comes to travelling especially on Nigerian roads.

Fifi ðŸ–¤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yorubas; greeting and respect. We do it for the culture!

Conscious Living- Life isn't ROCK, PAPER ,SCISSORS. SHOOT!

Some Kinna delicious sweet potato meal. RECIPE!