I Graduated from Uni!!!

Hello guyss, how are y'all doing?  Hope you had a fab week? Thank God.

So yeah, straight into what I'll be talking about today.  It's a little personal, not really gan sef, but I kinda like to make a big deal out of little things (okay, not really), but then as I'm typing right now, I'm thinking of all the people that might see this, who cares sha?  I'll be talking about my graduation. Yaayy!!!!  Guess who left school finally.

I know some of you might be thinking "I thought she was done" Yeah I waa, we just did the whole ceremonial thing.

I Graduated from the department of English, yeah, B.A English (feels so cool saying that). The thing is I graduated with a third class. When I first saw this, I was very very very very unhappy. My parents weren't (Yeah, they are amazing like that)  they tried to encourage me o, but it didn't work, or maybe it did, eventually. I think I felt worse because I just really wanted to impress them. I  didn't feel bad because of job opportunities, I might not  end up using the degree. I was sad because honestly, I tried my best. I tried so freaking hard in school. I had friends that pushed me ( Toyese, Pelumi, Omolara, Feyi, Tomi...) especially Toyese, my reading partner. "So why did I have to graduate with such a grade? " was my question. My dad told me God has his  plans, and I totally believe that.

In fact, I didn't want to go for the convocation ceremony, I didn't want to at all, but my mom and one of my friends wouldn't hear of it. The major reasons were
*I had a silly grade, nothing to be proud of
*my family wouldn't be there, so no point.

Eventually, I talked some sense into my head, went to school and went about the convocation procedures.When I received the brochure and I saw my name under the third class section, it became so real, and I was saddened yet again, I wondered what my aunt would think when she saw it.  I don't like people being disappointed in me. Then another sillyish thought came to my  head "what about when  I have kids and I tell them to go and study (and make a fuss about it because, mother. Lol) they'll  just be looking at me and talking about my grade. That one made me unhappy.

I even saw a friend and told her my grade, because the talk led to that point, and she said "kilode" , like why did I have the grade? In my mind, I'm like "what kind of question is that, do I like it?"  but then, I just had to smile.

The final straw that broke the camel's back, that made me cry. I felt so dumb. I was the only one out of all friends graduating with that grade. Oh my gosh!!  No no no, I didn't like it. Then I told myself that I AM NOT MY MATES, didn't work o, eventually told my dad. He told me God has plans lol and that I put in my best. 
(the funny thing is I'm an intelligent girl, I know it, I always tell myself, I wouldn't let literature, grammar(which I even hate) phonology or psycholinguistics be the judge of my intellectual ability. I refuse it.)

Finally, on the graduation day, I was seated with my friends, saw  people come out to receive awards, I felt happy for those people, my head was literally swelling. At the same time I couldn't help but wish. Eventually, the best graduating student in the department of African languages was called out for an award, but he wasn't there. He died earlier. And his award or gift was a minute's silence. "Wow"was all I could say. Isn't this life just vain. And I was beating myself over my grade. Someone that had a far better grade was no longer alive. So, you know what I did?  I danced and  danced and smiled and laughed, and took pictures (billions) and chastised myself for being an ungrateful lady.  In all, I am deeply thankful to God.

I'll forever be grateful for all the lessons I learned as an undergraduate, all the friends I had, the people I met, the classes I had, all these things have contributed to the person I'm growing to be. God help.

A part of me is saying you've not become something so why are you writing all this. LOL (I laugh in Spanish), but it's fine.
This is just to encourage you in whatever way it can.
*Your grades don't make you.
*God sees your efforts
*you are not your mates
*God has plans for you, special plans.

*kilode means why.

Thanks for reading guys.

Comments

  1. Deep philosophy. Deep thought. Deep reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmn,thank you and thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yorubas; greeting and respect. We do it for the culture!

Conscious Living- Life isn't ROCK, PAPER ,SCISSORS. SHOOT!

Some Kinna delicious sweet potato meal. RECIPE!