On kind words...

Feeling: Hungry
Time: 1:13p.m

I don't know how to start this, it's about kindness, but somehow I don't know how to articulate my words, and it's weird. I could understand if I was about to talk, but I want to write, and I don't know how to explain myself.

It could be because it's something so simple, yet so complicated. I don't know.


It's sad that many of us have lost a grip on kindness. It's sad. We go on social media and type out whatever comes into our minds.  We like this freedom of speech thingy we have going on, so that we speak whatever we think without using filters. Speak, because, I'm really interested in talking about kind words and how far away they are from our lips. Even the instagram app has the filter feature to make a picture more appealing, to make the picture flawless.

Since I can't really articulate my words properly, I may just write some points on how we can embrace kind words and end there. Maybe it's also cos I'm hungry.  Hunger clouds the brain.

  • Love.  I think this is the basis of anything good that can come out of any human being. Deal with people based on love. 
  • Be sensitive. 
  • Understand that though you can say anything, you do not need to say everything. 
  • Not every joke needs to be made 
  • Humility is key.  
  • Learn to reflect on your words. Even after you've said them. 
Soft words turn anger away.  Soft words are a healing balm.

In my house, my siblings have taken it upon themselves to have specially assigned seats (drinking some milk now, I feel better), and I have taken it upon myself to ruin the whole seat designation thingy. Sigh* I'm super playful.

So yeah, that's my minor job in the house. Displacing seat owners. Anyways, I sat in my 'brother's seat', and when he saw me, he told me to leave and blah blah. I told him to carry me, after all no one had his or her name on the chairs. He was getting pissed and stuff. He argued that I keep spoiling the seat arrangement. I told him quite rudely, but playfully that he should get another seat and I wasn't leaving that one for him. Eventually I stood up lol. We joked about it, but my daddy said, "Lois, soft words turn away anger" of course, he quickly agreed with daddy, and I'm like 'but I didn't say anything wrong'. I grudgingly apologized.

But I thought about it, even if I was playful about it, I really didn't have to be rude. Even though I may have been right, I could have gone about it in a kinder way.

My siblings think I say 'sorry' a lot. I intend to reduce the amount of sorrys I say for a different reason altogether though.

I believe I don't have to say too many sorrys if I filter the words that come out of my mouth properly before saying them. Now, I'm not a crude person, but then I make commentaries that may go well with them, but do not go well with me, and when it's been said, I think a little, and apologize.

Now I understand that it takes humility to be able to say sorry, but I think wisdom can avoid some unnecessary sorry episodes.

I'm trying to look for an example. Okay, I'll just create a scenario. I'm with one of my siblings who chooses to annoy me, I snap at him and leave the room. Thirty minutes or one hour later, after I have thought about my actions, I tell him how sorry I am for snapping at him and how I should have controlled myself. He looks at me like I'm a weirdo, bursts into laughter and asks why I feel the need to apologize.

I could have 'avoided' the apology if I was wise enough to not let my emotions get the better of me. I could simply have been kinder if I controlled my self.

I think words are important, and what's more important is letting our words be seasoned with grace.

Be kind this week.

Much love, 
Fifi. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yorubas; greeting and respect. We do it for the culture!

Some Kinna delicious sweet potato meal. RECIPE!

Conscious Living- Life isn't ROCK, PAPER ,SCISSORS. SHOOT!